Thursday, March 29, 2007

Idol Gossip: Time To Make A New Prediction

The biggest surprise of last night's American Idol results show, at least for me, was that Gwen Stefani's performance didn't suck. Being well on my way to becoming a grumpy old fart, I'm not all that hip to the sounds that those crazy kids are digging these days. A couple of months ago, however, I happened to be watching some music awards show, which one I honestly can't remember, where Stefani did an absolutely awful song that, for no apparent reason, incorporated bits of "The Lonely Goatherd" from The Sound of Music. After suffering through that, I was utterly dreading having to endure another Stefani song and even considered skipping the show except for the last five minutes just to see who got booted. However, the song Stefani sang last night was actually listenable, and even kind of good. It sort of reminded of Madonna around the time of her True Blue album.
It's funny that both guys who took on Police songs ended up in the bottom three. Phil's "Every Breath You Take" really was his best performance yet, but I could tell as soon as Chris Sligh finished his rendition of "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" that I'd soon have to amend my prediction of the winner. Perhaps Sligh should have used Sanjaya's hair stylist.
I've read that The Cowell has stated he will quit the show if Sanjaya wins. He should be careful about saying things like that, as some might see that as reason to vote for Hair Boy. Y'know, it might be worth the kid winning just to see if Si would actually do it.
Anyway, now for my updated prediction. My choice of Chris Sligh as a likely winner was actually based on a not so slightly cynical assumption that the best singer could not possibly win. However, despite Hair Boy's continued presence, it seems that the voters might surprise me and actuall throw the contest to the most talented vocalist. If that's going to be the case, then the winner will definitely be Melindal Doolittle.

No comments: