Wednesday, March 08, 2006

(STRAY THOUGHTS) Topic:Music

A couple of days ago, I was listening to Blue Oyster Cult's 1981 album Fire of Unknown Origin for the first time in years, and I found it kind of funny, in a bittersweet sort of way, how songs that I thought were just the coolest thing I'd ever heard when I was 15 now strike me as laughably pretentious crap twenty-five years on. (Y'know, I feel the same way now about Styx's The Grand Illusion, which was the first album I ever owned.)

Today, I heard BOC's Godzilla, which I still think is incredibly cool and always will no matter how old I get, and it occurred to me how relevant the song's refrain was to certain recent events. Perhaps it could be updated to reflect this, like so:
"History's shown again and again
How nature points out the folly of men--
KATRINA!"
That sentiment perfectly sums up the whole situation, from the failure of FEMA to the folly of building a city below sea level in an area vulnerable to hurricanes in the first place.

No comments: