Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Magnum Farce

The Movie Blog reported a couple of days ago that there's a Magnum PI film in the works and that the top contenders for the title role are George Clooney and Vince Vaughn.
Frankly, I am not all that enamored of either choice and thus offer my own: Jason Lee. Yes, the star of My Name Is Earl, also known for his roles in such Kevin Smith productions as Mallrats and Chasing Amy. He's got the quirky charm and offbeat good looks the role requires and, even more importantly, he's got the moustache. Seriously, check out the flavor saver he's sportin' on Earl. That is one Magnum quality 'stache, my friends.
Now, having cast Magnum, I thought I'd take a stab at the rest of the cast. Higgins is basically a comic relief character, so you're looking for a Brit with a flair for comedy, which obviously suggests, to me at least, one of the erstwhile members of Monty Python. John Cleese leaps immediately to mind, but I think Terry Jones might be a better choice. Actually, when I think about it, I realize the one former Python most suited to play Higgins would have been Graham Chapman, but he is, sadly, no longer available.
Finally, for Magnum's buds Rick and TC, I'm thinking Jack Black and Ving Rhames.
Oh, one more thing before I go and upload this thing: To John Campea of the Movie Blog--"zany" is spelled with only one "n", and, besides, nobody uses that word anymore.

No comments: