Monday, June 26, 2006

Death Be Not Fatal

According to the Associated Press, Great Britain's richest woman, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, has confirmed the rumors that have been floating around since the release of the series' sixth installment that two major characters buy the farm in the final book, and there are intimations that one of those future daisy-pusher-uppers is boy wizard Harry his own doomed self.
Rowlings is quoted as saying: "I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, `Well, I'm gonna kill them off because that means there can be no non-author written sequels. So it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."
Obviously, Rowling doesn't read superhero comics. Just 'cause a character is dead doesn't mean his adventures are over. It doesn't matter if, as in the case of Green Arrow a few years ago, the hero is killed in an explosion that scatters his atoms to the far corner of the universe, some writer will find some incredibly convoluted way to restore the character to life. Given that Harry Potter's world is one of magic and wizards, figuring out a way to return him from the grave should present no real problem to any half-talented hack--like Kevin Smith, who wrote the story that ressurrected Green Arrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no safe haven from character resurrection! Notice that I said that with an exclamation point, that means I really mean it.

Boy, I've been out of it for the last couple of weeks. I haven't been checking in on all my favorite blogs. Now, I'm back!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha, Ray darling, I've FOUND you!!! Time to share with you the wonders of the world wide universe via the world wide web. I actually have one of these things myself, but I think that reading it would just provide you with fodder for your next rant (and plus mine are a little more revealing emotionally), so no telling you what it is.

Thank Joe for telling me this, I especially love the pictures of you in the Cat head.