Monday, February 12, 2007

Yeah, So I Was Watching The Grammys Last Night...

I did not want to watch the Grammy Awards. I tried to avoid them. I even watched the last half hour of Grease: You're the One That I Want, which proved to be the lame-ass American Idol rip off that I thought it was. Finally, I gave up and checked out the Grammys for about an hour before going to bed, and I have one question:
Wasn't it supposed to be an awards show?
Ok, the performances were actually really good, especially the Carrie Underwood/Rascal Flats tribute to the Eagles and Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy," but during the entire hour that I watched, I think that maybe three, at most, awards were actually presented and two of those went to the Dixie Chicks.
(I'm sure Underwood winning for Best New Artist was not what CBS execs were hoping for. After all, her win pretty much amounted to free publicity for one of their competitors shows, American Idol.)
Of course, the music is why people tune in to the show, and I'll bet most people watching didn't care at all who won what. So if that's the case, why not just dispense with the awards altogether. Present the cheesy little statues in a private ceremony, and have a TV special later that's nothing but the winners and select nominees performing and isn't bogged down by the boring awards presentation stuff.

No comments: