Sunday, June 05, 2005

The Internet Age of Instant Misinformation.

With a blog, you can get a piece of info and slap it up on the web in minutes, and sometimes it turns out not to be true. A week after I posted about about hearing on Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me! that the true "number of the beast" is 616--which also happened to be the area code of Ann Arbor, Michighan, a fact I used to make a crack about Buckeyes fans thinking the people up there were devils all along, Wait! Wait! corrected itself. The basic fact of the piece--that it's 616 instead of 666--is correct, but that's actually the area code of Grand Rapids, Michigan rather than Ann Arbor.
I'd apologize for any inconvenience, but I'm sure even fewer people actually read this blog than listen to public radio, so this correction is mainly to ease my own conscience.

No comments: