Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Dummies to the Left of me; Complete Idiots to my Right

I've been reading a book called Monty Python and Philosophy, a book which applies philosophical principles to the work of Monty Python and Pythonesque principles to the work of philosophers, and one of the essays therein inspired me to do some further reading on Buddhism. No, I'm not looking to become a Buddhist, but I get the feeling that there are certain aspects of Buddhist philosophy that I might do well to incorporate in my own personal "philosophy," such as it is.
So, anyway, I was thinking that I should look for a simple introductory text, something like a "Buddhism For Dummies," so I did some poking around the library's catalog computer and guess what....
Yep, Buddhism For Dummies is a real book. I immediately reserved it, as well as The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Buddhism.
While in a bookstore with Mild Mike Lucas, master cartoonist and creator of the unparalleled genius of The Idioms, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the book Screenwriting For Dummies. I'll bet you're thinking the same thing that I thought and said to Mike, "We really don't need this book. Too many screenplays are written by dummies as it is." The same could be said for The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel, perhaps even more so.
I wonder if there's one called Writing A "For Dummies" Book For Dummies.
And by now you've probably guessed that I learned everything I know about writing this blog from.....
Where else?
Blogging For Dummies

No comments: